Historic palazzo for sale in SpelloUmbria - Spello - Historic centre | Palazzo della Torre Ref. code D4TQ
Palazzo with panoramic terrace, 3.500 sq.m private grounds and 2 outbuildings.
Details and accessories
- Surface: 1.322 mq
- Bedrooms: 12
- Bathrooms: 8
- Land: 3.500 mq
- Conditions: rennovated
- Energy efficiency rating:
- EPi 385
- Frescoed ceilings
- Guest house
- Private chapel
for information and visits
+39 0743 220122
Fully restored historic palazzo, with two outbuildings and a further annex requiring restoration. Private grounds of 3.500 sq.m and a terrace in the old tower, overlooking the valley. Situated in a panoramic position in the centre of Spello.
Palazzo della Torre is located in the historical centre of Spello, one of Umbria’s major cities of art, famous for its "Flower festivals" and ranked among "Italy’s most beautiful Villages".
The property, which is located in the highest part of the town, consists of a 17th century building, two outbuildings, a small annexe (storehouse), a terrace on the tower and 3,500 sqm of private park.
Evidence of the Roman and medieval eras remind us of the thousands of years of history behind what Spello is today: a lively town, rich with events, every year attracting lovers of art and good living.
The other important historic towns of Umbria are nearby: Foligno (8 km) and Assisi (14 km) can be reached in about 15 minutes and in just a few minutes more you can get to Trevi (20 km), while the historic towns centres of Perugia (30 km) and Spoleto (34 km) are less than half an hour away. The little town of Spello, which is in a central position with regard to Rome and Florence, is excellently connected by the highway, allowing you to reach both in about an hour and 45 minutes by car.
The airport of Perugia S. Egidio is 15 minutes away (22 km), the airport of Rome Ciampino is 178 km away and that of Rome Fiumicino is 200 km away.
Description of buildings
The property consists of:
- the main building, with a living area that has 718 net sqm of floor space, as well as 122 sqm of attics and 280 sqm of terrace. The property is of great architectural and artistic value and, according to various historical testimonies, it appears to have been completed around 1602 on a medieval bastion, while some sections of brickwork, still visible on the west side, are evidence of earlier Roman structures;
- an outbuilding with 85 net sqm of living space, plus as 81 sqm of basements and storehouses;
- another building with 58 sqm of living space, plus an 88 sqm garage, 170 sqm of basements and 126 sqm of terraces;
- a small annexe, in need of full renovation.
The main Building is spread over four levels as well as a terrace and is divided as follows:
- on the ground floor, all the ceilings are vaulted, the floor area is 255 net sqm and a large entrance hall divides the building into two wings. To the left there is a bedroom, a private chapel and a pantry, while to the right there is a kitchen, a woodshed, a cellar, a utility room and a staircase to the upper floors. At the back, there is access to a courtyard.
- the main floor, which also has vaulted, frescoed ceilings, consists of four large bedrooms, one of which has an en suite bathroom, a lounge, another kitchen and a bathroom;
- on the second floor there is a kitchen/living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom;
- on the third floor there is a living room, a kitchen, a study, two bedrooms, three bathrooms and a large area (122 net sqm) intended for use as an attic.
- lastly, on the top floor of the building there is a large panoramic terrace of 280 sqm.
All the floors in the building are connected by a lift.
Adjacent to the building there is a two-storey outbuilding, with:
- on the ground floor, which has a floor area of 81 net sqm, ancillary rooms serving the property as basements and storerooms, as well as a small courtyard of about 20 sqm;
- on the first floor, with 85 net sqm of living area, an apartment with a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, two bedrooms, a study and a bathroom.
To complete the property, there is a building on multiple levels, following the layout of the garden, which is divided as follows:
- one portion, renovated with a garage (88 net sqm) and a room intended for use as a basement/storeroom;
- one portion, in need of renovation, with rooms on the ground floor intended for use as storerooms/storage spaces and a porch overlooking the garden; on the mezzanine floor, there is another utility room; on the first floor there is a kitchen/living room with a small balcony, a bedroom with access to a large panoramic terrace (126 sqm) and a bathroom; there are another two ancillary rooms on the top floor;
In front of the building, there is also a small annexe, intended for use as a storeroom, in need of full renovation.
Energy efficiency class: G.
State and finishing
Both the main building of the Palazzo, which dates back to the 17th century, and the outbuilding have recently been renovated and are in excellent condition.
Inside the building, the original architectural features have been maintained: on the ground floor, the vaulted ceilings, terracotta floors and large kitchen fireplace remind us of the original intended use of those rooms, which served the main floor. Here, on the main floor, in addition to large rooms with decorations and frescoes on the vaulted ceilings and on the walls, there is also a beautiful wooden floor.
The private chapel is also adorned with decorations and faux marble.
Despite the fact that the other areas of the building and the outbuilding have not maintained their original finishes, they have nevertheless been renovated and are perfectly habitable.
Palazzo della Torre has numerous outdoor spaces, from the 3,500 sqm of private park, kept as a garden, and the terraces, the largest measures 280 sqm and is on the top floor of the building, while the most evocative is on the top of one of the town’s towers, overlooking the entire valley.
Use and potential uses
The property is located in one of Umbria’s major cities of art and is in a central position with respect to important historic towns in Central Italy. This, along with the size of its buildings, makes it perfect as a private representative residence, both as a permanent dwelling or as a holiday home. It would also be possible to use the outhouse for guests and the partly renovated building for service staff. Alternatively it could be utilized as a source of income, by renting it out during periods of non-use or combining it with a small tourist accommodation business.
Distances and location
- Spello 0.1 Km
- Foligno 9 Km
- Assisi 13 Km
- Perugia 32 Km
- Spoleto 35 Km
- Rome 157 Km
- Florence 178 Km
- Adriatic Sea 114 Km
- Lake Trasimeno 47 Km
- Perugia S.Egidio Airport 22 Km
- Ancona Falconara Airport 122 Km
- Rome Ciampino Airport 177 Km
- Roma Fiumicino Airport 205 Km
- Dual carriageway 2 Km
Umbria - Italy
Neighboring regions: Toscany, Lazio, Marche
Main centers: Perugia, Assisi, Spoleto, Todi, Orvieto, Gubbio, Spello
Characteristics: is the sister of Tuscany region, green and hilly territory with olive groves and vineyards, rich in art cities and quaint towns.
Placed in Central Italy between Rome and Florence, Umbria is a region rich in history and culture, from the hilly landscape with olive groves and vineyards, and dotted with historic villages and artistic cities such as Perugia (important international University Centre), Spoleto, Orvieto, Todi, Assisi, Spello and others.
15 minutes from Perugia is located Lake Trasimeno, the largest Italian lake after that of Como.
The climate is mild with temperatures in winter rarely fall below zero degrees and summer temperatures around 25 degrees.
The region is the scene of major cultural events throughout the year (such as the Festival dei Due Mondi in Spoleto and Umbria Jazz) and many other folk events which, especially in summer, enliven small and large centers of the entire territory.
Property offer: Umbria, with its Green and hilly territory is particularly required for purchasing original characteristic stone farmhouses, very similar to those of Tuscany, in the countryside around the major cities of art such as Todi, Spoleto, Orvieto, Perugia, Assisi or in the popular area of Valley of Niccone or of Trasimeno. These are often finely renovated farmhouses with park and pool, which are well suited to use for vacation but also for investment with the ability to put them in the lease through touristicrental. Umbria has a strategic position being located half an hour from Rome and two hours from Florence. The region, rich in history, offers you the chance to buy real estate like castles, vintage villas, villages and monasteries. Very popular are also the apartments within historical centers or small rural managed complexes, rich in original farmhouses of stone structure, particularly are requested those places in the countryside around the town of Todi, Spoleto, Assisi, Perugia and Orvieto, but also in the areas and Niccone Valley and Lake Trasimeno. Frequently also the historic buildings, ancient villas, castles and apartments in historic towns such as Perugia, Orvieto, Spoleto, Assisi, Spello, Trevi, or in small villages renovated and preserved.
*The location of the property on the map is approximate